General information

Can I use financial aid if I am living off-campus?

Yes. The financial aid cost-of-attendance budget includes a room and board allowance.

  • Completed financial aid credits to student accounts to take care of university charges.
  • Anything left is refunded to the student. Students may use refunds to pay rent and living expenses off-campus.
  • Financial aid refunds are not available to students before classes begin each semester. Plan accordingly.

How can I contact the OSFA?

See our Contact page.

How can I purchase textbooks?

UNC Charlotte financial aid does not allow students to purchase textbooks and charge their UNC Charlotte accounts. Students should be prepared to purchase textbooks with personal funds in case financial aid refunds are delayed.

How do I request a Tax Return Transcript from the IRS?

There are four ways to obtain a Tax Return Transcript from the IRS: 

  • Be sure to request a Tax Return Transcript, NOT an Account Transcript.
  • Do NOT have transcripts sent directly to the Office of Student Financial Aid (OSFA).

1. On line request at http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript. Follow these steps:

a. On the main page under Tools, click "Order a Tax Return or Account Transcript"

b. Click "Tax Return Transcript" in Section 1

c. Click "Order a Transcript"

d. Enter tax filer's SSN, DOB, and Address (must match tax return exactly) & click "Continue"

e. In the "Type of Transcript" field, select "Return Transcript" and then the year

f. A paper Tax Return Transcript will be mailed to the specified address within 5-10 days.

2.  Telephone Request: Automated 800-908-9946

3.  Paper Request: IRS form 4506T - Must be used if you have moved since filing you taxes. The form can be downloaded at www.irs.gov.

4.  Visit your local IRS office.




How much does it cost to go to school at UNC Charlotte?

Cost of attendance information is updated yearly and is available here.

Direct charges to the university include:

  • tuition and fees
  • room and board (for students who live on campus and have a meal plan)
  • parking pass (for students with cars on campus)
  • health insurance (unless students opt out by providing proof of coverage)
  • ID fee

What if I do not have enough financial aid to meet my cost of attendance?

For dependent students, parent PLUS Loans are available to help with educational expenses, up to the cost of attendance. Parents may apply for a parent PLUS loan, by submitting our form found here. Dependent students, whose parents are denied the PLUS Loan, may be eligible for additional federal unsubsidized student loan funds. Parents must apply for the PLUS Loan and be denied for the student to become eligible for additional student loan funds. Contact the OSFA for specific information. Non-federal loans may be an option as well. Please review our Alternative Loan Information page for a list of preferred non-federal lenders.

What if I have no contact with my parent?

Contact the Office of Student Financial Aid (OSFA) to discuss the situation.

What is an EFC?

EFC stands for “Expected Family Contribution.” After the FAFSA is processed using the federal methodology formula, an EFC number is calculated.This is the amount a family could be expected to have available to contribute toward the student’s education. This is not an amount of money you are expected to pay to the school. EFC ranks the FAFSA in order of “need.” (A student with a large EFC may not be eligible for need-based financial aid. Students with a low EFC may qualify for more need-based financial aid, including federal and state aid.)

Will I be eligible for any Federal or State aid as a post-baccalaureate student?

Only students who are in a degree-seeking program are eligible for Federal or State financial aid.  As a post-bacc student, you are not eligible for any Federal or State aid. However, post-bacc are eligible to apply for an Alternative Loan with a lender that does not require you to be a degree-seeking student.  

Keep in mind you can also set up a UNC Charlotte payment plan through Student Accounts.

Applying for Financial Aid

Can graduate students receive financial aid?

Graduate students are eligible to apply for a Graduate PLUS loan if they need additional funding beyond their Stafford loans.

We have the application on our website that you can complete after April 1st for us to process that loan for you.



Can I apply for financial aid as an independent student?

The federal government requires parent tax information on the FAFSA unless students meet specific criteria that establish independent status. The most common reasons students are considered independent are:

  • Age 24
  • Married
  • Working on a master’s or doctorate degree
  • Active duty military
  • Veteran of the U.S. Armed Services
  • Have children who receive more than half their support from the student during the school year.

Do I have to fill out anything else to apply for financial aid at UNC Charlotte?

The FAFSA is the only application required for financial aid at UNC Charlotte. We do not require the College Profile. If additional information is needed, we contact students with specific requests. Do not send tax returns, W-2s, etc., to our office unless we ask for them.



How can I apply for State grant funding?

The State of North Carolina automatically reviews all FAFSA information for state grant eligibility and notifies UNC Charlotte.



How can I get financial aid?

All financial aid awarded, including federal student loans and parent PLUS Loans, is based on information from the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). File the FAFSA online, www.fafsa.gov, using tax return and asset information.

  • A FAFSA worksheet may be printed from the FAFSA website to help organize information for the FAFSA.
  • UNC Charlotte does not require the College Profile form.

How can I receive financial aid as an International Student?

International students are not eligible for financial aid. 

However, we suggest you try these alternative options:

  • Look for scholarship options with the Graduate school. They issue scholarships and funds based on your degree, so they may have something you can apply for. You can contact them at: https://graduateschool.uncc.edu/contact
  • You have the option of applying for a private education loan. Be sure the lender is aware that you are an international student because some lenders requires students to have a permanent resident or a US citizen as a cosigner. 

How do I apply for Financial Aid at UNC Charlotte?

In order to apply for federal or state financial aid, students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year.  It is available online at www.fafsa.gov.  

Most institutions use the FAFSA. You do not have to complete a FAFSA for each institution to which you have applied for admission; just be sure you have listed the UNC Charlotte school code (002975) on the application so that we receive your FAFSA information.
For more details, view this page on applying for Financial Aid.

Is there a deadline for applying for financial aid?

While we encourage students to file by March 1, if possible, UNC Charlotte has no deadline. Some financial aid is limited, so filing early means there is a better chance to receive some limited funding. Students who wish to have financial aid in place in time to pay bills in August should have the FAFSA completed and requested documentation submitted to our office by May 1.



Why don’t I have a financial aid package?

Have you been admitted to UNC Charlotte? FAFSA information is brought into our system and aid packaged for students who have been admitted. We do not package aid for students who are not yet admitted.

Has it been longer than three weeks since you completed the FAFSA? If it has, go back to the FAFSA website, www.fafsa.gov to check the status of your FAFSA.

  • Make sure the student and parent (if required) have signed the FAFSA.
  • Make certain UNC Charlottes's federal school code (002975) is included on the FAFSA.
  • Verify that the student’s Social Security Number and Date of Birth are correct on the FAFSA.

Contact the OSFA to follow up. We can check the Central Processor’s website, if necessary, to determine the status of the FAFSA.

Awarding and Accepting Awards

How do I accept my award or check the status of my award?

  1. Log in to My UNC Charlotte  (New students: Your username & password is listed on your admissions acceptance letter in the top right).
  2. Click  in yellow box:  “Click here for Banner Self-Service”.
  3. Click on the Financial Aid link or the Financial Aid tab.
  4. Click on My Award Information.
  5. Click on Award By Aid Year.
  6. Select Aid Year.
  7. Click on Terms & Conditions tab.
  8. Read Terms & Conditions. You must click Accept at the bottom.
  9. Click on Accept Award Offer tab.
  10. Select Accept, Decline, or Decide Later for each offer.

I haven't received my financial information

I need to make a decision about attending school, but it depends on the financial aid I will receive. I have an EFC, but no financial aid information from UNC Charlotte. How can I decide?

Contact the OFSA and speak with a financial aid counselor. We can provide an estimate of anticipated financial aid, based on your EFC and your residency status.

When will I receive my Financial Aid award?

Financial Aid awards are posted in My UNC Charlotte beginning in April.

  • Not everyone will be awarded in April.
  • You will receive an email when your award is ready to be viewed.
  • Financial aid for each semester will begin applying to students’ bills 7-10 days prior to the first day of class.
  • Student Accounts will begin processing refunds to students during the first week of class.
  • View this timeline for more details.
  • Learn more about receiving your aid.



Why hasn’t my financial aid credited to my student account?

Log into My UNC Charlotte to check the status of your aid and determine whether there are outstanding requirements to be met.

  • Is packaging complete?
  • If verification is in process, have requested documents been submitted?
  • Have classes begun?
  • Are you enrolled at least half-time?
  • Has aid been accepted?
  • Have Master Promissory Notes been signed?
  • Has a Loan Entrance Counseling Session been completed?
  • Are you making Satisfactory Academic Progress?

Contact the OSFA if all requirements have been met and aid still has not disbursed.



Can I be independent if my parents do not claim me on their tax return?

No. Unless students meet at least one of the FAFSA criteria that establish independent status, parent information must be included.

How can I find out if you have received a copy of my FAFSA?

  1. You will need to log into the www.FAFSA.gov website to verify that you have designated our school code on the FAFSA. Once added, we should be able to view your application.  (The UNC Charlotte school code is 002975)
  2. We begin receiving FAFSA information in early March of each year. Once we receive yours, you will receive an email in your UNCC account notifying you that we have received your FAFSA. All communication will be sent to your UNCC email account.

If you did not receive an email communication stating that we received your FAFSA information:

  1. You will need to provide us with some information from your FAFSA so that we can go retrieve your application.
  2. To do so, log into the FAFSA website (www.FAFSA.gov) and 'view' your completed application.
  3. Look in the section where your name and social security numbers are, and write down the 4 digit code called the DRN #. This stands for Data Retrieval Number and will allow us to download your FAFSA the following week. 
  4. Call the Financial Aid office and ask to speak to a financial aid counselor and let them know your DRN #.

How can I sign the FAFSA on-line?

The easiest way to sign the FAFSA is to apply for a federal Personal Identification Number (PIN). You may apply for a PIN number via the PIN website (www.pin.ed.gov). The student and the dependent student’s parent must sign the FAFSA. Separate PINs are required for the parent and student.

I don’t have access to the Internet. Can I still file a FAFSA?

You may call 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800‑433‑3243) to request a paper FAFSA.



What if my tax return will not be completed until later in the year?

With a reasonable idea of income, the FAFSA may be filed using estimated income information.

What is the UNC Charlotte school code for the FAFSA?

The UNC Charlotte school code for the FAFSA is 002975.  You must list this code on your FAFSA in order to be eligible to receive financial aid from UNC Charlotte.

When the FAFSA asks for investment information, do I include the value of our home?

No. Investments do not include the value of the home in which you live, your car, the value of life insurance, retirement plans, pension funds, annuities, non-education IRAs, Keogh plans, etc., or cash, savings and checking already reported.



Why should I complete the FAFSA if all I am offered are loans?

The FAFSA is used to determine eligibility for federal student loans. Federal loans have several advantages over non-federal loans.

  • Repayment is deferred until after graduation or if the student drops below half-time enrollment status in school.
  • The interest rate is fixed and usually a lower rate than credit cards.
  • No credit check is required. To qualify, students must be U.S. Citizens or eligible non-citizens, in good standing on any previous student loans, and enrolled at least half-time in a degree-seeking program.
  • Some student loan interest is tax deductible.

Are there Lenders that do not require a student to be degree seeking, less than half-time or for a past due balance?

Yes to all.

Can you defer a Private loan until after graduation?

Each lender has different borrower benefits and it is important to review them all carefully before choosing an option.

Does the money come directly to me or is it posted to my student account?

The money is posted to your account.

How do I apply for a Parent Plus Loan?

  • In order to obtain a plus loan, the student must first complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid).
  • To initiate the Plus loan process, a  Parent Plus Loan Request form must be completed and returned to the  Financial Aid Office. The form can be found here.
  • If you applied at Direct Loans we still need the Parent Plus Loan Request Form to create an electronic certification record that will be sent to the Department of Education.
  • All Plus Loan Funds credit to the student’s account.  If there is a credit on the student’s account after all charges for the semester have been paid, then it will be returned to the parent borrower, or the student, as you have indicated on the request form.
  • You do have the option to defer payments.  When you go to sign the Master Promissory Note at Studentloans.gov you may select the deferment option at that time.


How do I sign the Mastery Promissory Note?

To sign the Master Promissory Note for a Stafford or Parent Plus Loan please go to  Studentloans.gov.  You will sign the Master Promissory Note electronically using a Federal Pin number the same that was used on the FAFSA.  Be very careful that you sign your Master Promissory Note so that it exactly matches your name on your Social Security Card.  This will prevent any delays in the releasing of your funds.

How long will it take for an alternative loan to process?

It can take up to 3 to 4 weeks for the loan to post to the student's account.

I want to change my loans. How do I do that?

To update or make changes to your loan account, please complete the Loan Change Request form. Once received, we will be able to process your request. 



What is a Parent PLUS loan?

Parent PLUS loans are loans that are applied for by the parent(s) of the student.  Parents of a dependent undergraduate student may apply for a Federal Direct PLUS loan to help meet the student's cost of attendance not covered by other financial aid. Interest rates and repayment provisions on PLUS loans are generally more favorable than other alternative loans available for educational expenses. FAFSA is required, and parents must submit a PLUS loan request form to the Office of Student Financial Aid for certification of the student's cost of attendance as well as other anticipated financial aid.



What is an alternative loan?

Alternative loans are private education loans that help bridge the gap between the actual cost of your education and the amount the government allows you to borrow in its programs. Private loans are offered by private lenders and there are no federal forms to complete. Eligibility for private student loans often depends on your credit score. 



What is Loan Entrance Counseling?

The U.S. Department of Education requires that students complete an online loan entrance counseling session before loan funds can be disbursed.Loan entrance counseling provides students with information regarding their rights and responsibilities in regard to their federal student loans.  It can be completed at StudentLoans.gov.

What is the current interest rate on a Federal Direct PLUS Loan?

The current Interest Rate for the Parent Plus Loan is 7.9%. 

What is the interest rate for a Private loan?

The interest rates currently range from 3% to 13% depending on the lender and your credit score.

What’s the difference between a “Subsidized” and an “Unsubsidized” Loan?

A federal subsidized student loan is considered need-based financial aid, as determined by the FAFSA. The student must have need in the financial aid package to qualify for a subsidized loan. The interest on a subsidized loan is paid by the government while the student is in school and through the six-month grace period.

An unsubsidized student loan begins accruing interest from the time the loan is disbursed. Students may pay the interest on the unsubsidized loan or let it accumulate.

When will my loans begin processing?

At UNC Charlotte, the Office of Student Financial aid begins to process loans for the upcoming academic year after July 1st (when the university's new fiscal year begins). Unfortunately, until then we are unable to download Master Promissory Notes for new students. As long as you have completed it on the federal website (www.studentloans.gov) we will receive it when we begin processing new loans in July. 




Where can I find a Lender?

You may choose any lender of your choice.  This handy FASTChoice loan tool walks you through important information about types of funding and money management. It also presents your new responsibilities if you go on to borrow money.

After you review this information, you will see a list of lenders offering loan products in a way that makes it easy to compare them.

Why can’t I get enough federal student student loan money to take care of my costs?

Federal student loan limits, for each academic year, are established by congress to help students manage loan debt.

  • Freshmen may borrow up to $5,500 ($9,500 for independent students and students whose parents are denied the PLUS Loan)
  • Sophomores may borrow up to $6,500 ($10,500 for independent students and students whose parents are denied PLUS Loan)
  • Juniors and seniors may borrow up to $7,500 ($12,500 for independent students and students whose parents are denied PLUS Loan)

Why did I not receive any financial aid other than loans?

Students with a large EFC number may not be eligible for need-based financial aid. Federal stafford loans are considered financial aid and are available to help students meet educational costs. Students may accept or decline any loan, or accept a portion of loans offered.

Why do I have to complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN) to receive my loans?

A Master Promissory Note is a promise to repay the loan you have been given to help with the cost of your education. An MPN is usually signed online, using the 4-digit FAFSA PIN number as the signature.

Why is there an Exit Counseling requirement on my account?

Exit Counseling is a federal requirement for all Federal Stafford Loan recipients and Federal Perkins Loan recipients. Exit counseling was created to ensure that you understand your rights and responsibilities as a borrower. During the counseling, you will learn how to make payment of your loans easier and how to get help and protect your credit rating if you have problems.




How do I pay for my tuition and fees with my financial aid?

Financial aid is credited toward your student bill after you have completed and submitted all required paperwork and documents. If you have been offered a student loan, be sure to complete the entrance counseling and master promissory note if necessary.

My financial aid is greater than my semester bill. How do I Receive the additional funds?

Your financial aid funds will initially be applied to charges on your student account. Any amount in excess of your student account balance will be sent via direct deposit or a check in the mail from Students Accounts.

When will I receive my financial aid refund?

Most, but not all financial aid is applied to the student accounts at the beginning of the semester. Throughout the semester, if you are awarded financial aid, it will be applied accordingly. In both cases, financial aid refunds are mailed or direct deposits are applied within several days after the funds are applied to the student's account. If you have direct deposit the funds are applied to the appropriate banking account.

Where/How will I receive my refund check?

Any financial aid owed to you that exceeds your student account balance will be sent to the permanent address that you have on file with the University if direct deposit is not set up.

SAP and Withdrawal from UNC Charlotte

Are you meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards (SAP)?

In order to remain eligible for federal financial aid, continuing students must meet SAP standards. SAP is measured at the end of each semester to determine whether students remain eligible for financial aid. Visit the financial aid website to review the SAP policy.

Can I keep my loan funds if I withdraw?

Not always. If a federal student loan reduction is required based on the above calculation, the student's loan is reduced and the amount of the reduction is returned to the lender. That amount is charged to the student’s account. For example, if a student’s loan had to be reduced by $1,000 that amount would be returned to the lender, reducing the student’s overall loan debt. However, the student would owe the $1,000 to UNC Charlotte, immediately.



Do I have to start repaying my loans if I withdraw?

If you are out of school for at least 6 months, you need to begin repaying your loans. Your lender will contact you when repayment begins. If you return to school within 6 months, your loans will remain in deferment, but it is your responsibility to ensure the lender is aware you have re-enrolled.  At UNC Charlotte the Registrar's Office sends enrollment information to the clearing house after the drop and add period for each semester.

How does my academic performance affect my financial aid?

In accordance to federal regulations, students must maintain satisfactory academic progress in order to continue receiving financial aid.  Failure to earn certain minimum credit hours and/or grade point averages can casue a student to lose financial aid eligibility.  For more information, please read the SAP Policy.

I dropped a course/ all courses. Why isn’t a refund being processed?

If all grades are not passing (W’s, I’s, or F’s), you will be required to have all professors sign the Confirmation of Attendance form indicating the last day of your participation or attendance.  If the Office of Student Financial Aid does not receive the Confirmation of Attendance form by the 15 day deadline, ALL of your federal funding may be returned to the particular programs.  If the professors confirm attendance but no specific date is given, we will prorate your financial aid based on the midpoint of the term.  If you were paid a Pell grant on a full-time enrollment and your are not able to confirm attendance in all courses, your aid will be adjusted to the amount of the credits confirmed and the calculation will be based on the last date of attendance for the confirmed classes.

I want to retake a class, can I still receive financial aid?

Beginning with the 2012 spring term, students may only receive federal financial aid for one repetition (repeat) of a previously passed course.  This means that students (undergraduate and graduate) who have already passed a course with a grade of D or better may only repeat the class one additional time and receive financial aid for that course. 

No student may repeat a course a third time and receive financial aid for the course.

What happens if I withdraw from class or classes?

Financial aid is awarded with the expectation that students will complete the semester for which aid was awarded. Students who are considering dropping classes, or withdrawing from UNC Charlotte, should contact the Office of Student Financial Aid to discuss the matter. Some students may be required to return aid already disbursed to their accounts. Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) and federal student loan repayment may become issues, as well.



What happens to my financial aid if I have to withdraw from the university?

  • Adjustments to your financial aid may have to be made, depending upon the date of your withdrawal. The Office of Student Financial Aid (OSFA) is required by federal law to pro-rate financial aid, based on the number of days a student was in attendance each semester.
  • The OSFA performs a Return of Title IV Funds calculation to determine if adjustments to a student's financial aid award are required.
  • If adjustments are required, aid is reduced resulting to charges to the student’s account.
  • A letter is sent, informing the student of the adjustment amount.

What if I plan to attend another school after I withdraw from UNC Charlotte?

Your SAP standing at UNC Charlotte is not transferred to the other school; however, your academic transcript cannot be released if you have any unpaid charges at UNC Charlotte.

What is an academic plan of action?

For those students who require more than one term to recover from a deficit in their academic progress, an academic plan may be acceptable.  The student would complete the appeal process as normal, including a statement, documentation and the appeal form.  If appropriate, the student will be asked to submit an Academic Advising form from an academic advisor showing the credits remaining to complete their program as well as an estimated graduation date. 

  • If approved, the student will be required to sign an Academic Plan of Action in which the courses will be reviewed at the end of each term.  If the student is adhering to the plan and making successful progress, their eligibility will remain intact. 
  • If the student deviates from the academic plan, their eligibility will be revoked.


What is the minimum GPA requirement to keep your financial aid?

Satisfactory Academic Progress is defined as a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 for all undergraduate students, and minimum credit hour completion rate of 66.6% for both undergraduate and graduate students.

Students who are unable to keep their cumulative GPA above a 2.0 each semester are in danger of losing their future financial aid.

We offer an appeal process where students can submit an explanation to our office showing us why they fell below the minimum GPA and how they have made progress since then. If they can show us that they are making progress, we can put them on a probationary status through the next semester to allow them to get their GPA above a 2.0 or their competition rate above 66.6%. If the appeal is approved, students would be able to receive financial aid for the next semester. 

Read more about Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) and appealing SAP >>




Will a withdrawal affect my Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)?

It may. The SAP Policy is also available here. Based on your SAP standing, you may not be eligible for future financial aid.

If you are not meeting SAP standards, and had to withdraw due to mitigating circumstances, you may appeal, using the Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal form also found on our Forms section. Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeals are reviewed by a committee . The SAP Appeal process may take several weeks to complete.

Scholarship and Grants

How will I receive outside scholarship funds?

Generally outside scholarship proceeds are forwarded to the UNC Charlotte Student Accounts office and posted to your account.

I am interested in the Federal TEACH Grant. May I receive this grant?

The Federal TEACH Grant has very specific qualification criteria. If you are interested in receiving the TEACH Grant, complete TEACH Grant counseling on the Federal Student Aid website. Upon receiving word from the program that counseling has been completed, the financial aid office will work to determine your eligibility and notify you if further steps are required.

I have been awarded an outside scholarship. Will this affect my other financial aid?

Outside scholarships can sometimes affect other financial aid. However, generally the only impact outside scholarships have is a reduction in loan eligibility. Notify the financial aid office as soon as you become aware that you will be receiving an outside scholarship. If an outside scholarship causes a change in financial aid that has already been awarded, you will receive a revised financial aid award letter.

I was awarded a Pell Grant. Will the number of hours I take affect the amount of Pell I receive?

Yes. Pell Grants pay to students’ accounts based on their enrollment status. Students who are enrolled full-time will receive the entire amount of their Pell award. At UNC Charlotte, enrolling in 12 or more credit hours is considered full-time. Students who are enrolled for 9.00 hours are considered ¾ time and receive 75% of their Pell award. Half-time 50%, etc.



Is there reciprocity for out of state students?

I am an out-of-state student. My home state offers scholarship funds to students attending in-state public institutions. Will UNC Charlotte match my home state’s funding?

No. Unfortunately, there is no reciprocity with out-of-state scholarship funds.

I’m not sure I have enough financial aid. How do I go about finding outside scholarship funding?

Online and library searches can provide a wealth of information about organizations that offer scholarship funds. There is also a list of outside scholarship websites on UNC Charlotte’s financial aid webpage.

What is an outside scholarship?

A scholarship from any organization or agency other than UNC Charlotte is considered an outside scholarship. Resources for these scholarships can include civic and/or community groups, church or religious organizations, employers, other states, etc.

What types of scholarships are available at UNC Charlotte?

University scholarships are available to all students and are awarded based on academic merit, financial need, or both. Many, but not all, are awarded to students within specific programs or majors. Information on each scholarship can be found by performing a scholarship search on the University Scholarship Office web page. Application deadlines vary.


Why didn’t I get a Pell Grant?

  • Federal Pell Grants are awarded based on federal eligibility requirements and students’ FAFSA information.
  • Students whose EFC is out of Pell Grant range do not qualify.
  • Students who already have a bachelor’s degree are not eligible for Pell Grants.
  • Graduate students are not eligible for Pell Grants.
  • Teacher Certification students are not eligible for Pell Grants.
Summer School Financial Aid

How do I receive financial aid for summer classes?

  • A separate application for summer financial aid is required.  The application is posted on the financial aid forms page after April 1 each year. 
  • Before you can complete the summer application, you must have enrolled for your summer classes, and you must have submitted a FAFSA for the fall/spring of the same academic year. 
  • Undergraduates must be enrolled in at least six total credit hours for all summer sessions in order to be eligible.
  • For more information, please review this page on applying for summer financial aid


Verification Questions

Have documents requested for verification been submitted?

During our busiest time of year, it may take up to six weeks for verification to be completed. Please respond to requests for information in a timely and complete manner.



What is a Federal Tax Return?

Are reports filed with the IRS (Internal Revenue Service or with the state or local tax collection agency containing information used to calculate income tax or other taxes, i.e. Form 1040.

What is a Schedule C?

Use Schedule C (Form 1040) to report income or loss from a business you operated or a Profit or Loss profession you practiced as a sole proprietor. An activity qualifies as a business if your primary purpose for engaging in the activity is for income or profit and you are involved in From Business the activity with continuity and regularity. For example, a sporadic activity or a hobby does not qualify as a business. To report income from a non-business activity, see the instructions for Form 1040, line 21.

What is a Tax Extension?

If the parent or student has not filed a Federal Tax Return, they can file for a tax extension (IRS form 4868), they must provide a copy of the extension and the verification specialist must notify the Counselor to award the student, but will not disburse any funds until the verification is complete. Once the signed federal tax returns and W2’s have been received and the verification is complete, the counselor will be notified to disburse funds and adjust the award if necessary.

What is a W2

Form W-2, a United States federal tax form issued by employers and stating how much an employee was paid in a year. Go to IRS.gov.

What is an IRS Tax Transcript?

A tax return transcript shows most line items from your tax return (Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ) as it was originally filed, including any accompanying forms and schedules. It does not reflect any changes you, your representative or the IRS made after the return was filed. In many cases, a return transcript will meet the requirements of lending institutions such as those offering mortgages and for applying for student loans. You may GOOGLE your local IRS office to get a copy that day.

Processing Time for Verification normally takes up to two weeks; more time will be required during peak time.

What is Verification?

Verification is the process by which schools review student financial aid applications for accuracy. Institutions that participate in Federal Title IV aid programs are required to perform verification on a selection of students. Verification is done by collecting the documents the student used to complete the FAFSA and comparing them with the information the student provided on the FAFSA. You will not be able to receive financial aid until the verification process is complete. To receive maximum consideration for aid such as  grants and/or work study, turn in all documents as quickly as possible.

If the student or parents file a tax extension you can tentatively be awarded, however no aid will disburse to the students account until the tax returns are filed and a copy is sent to the financial aid office.

Federal Regulations Title 34: Education 34 CFR 668.54 W hat is a W2: Form W-2, a United States federal tax form issued by employers and stating how much an employee was paid in a year. Go to IRS.gov