How do I request a Tax Return Transcript from the IRS?

There are four ways to obtain a Tax Return Transcript from the IRS: 

  • Be sure to request a Tax Return Transcript, NOT an Account Transcript.
  • Do NOT have transcripts sent directly to the Office of Student Financial Aid (OSFA).


1. On line request at Follow these steps:

a. On the main page under Tools, click "Order a Tax Return or Account Transcript"

b. Click "Tax Return Transcript" in Section 1

c. Click "Order a Transcript"

d. Enter tax filer's SSN, DOB, and Address (must match tax return exactly) & click "Continue"

e. In the "Type of Transcript" field, select "Return Transcript" and then the year

f. A paper Tax Return Transcript will be mailed to the specified address within 5-10 days.

2.  Telephone Request: Automated 800-908-9946

3.  Paper Request: IRS form 4506T - Must be used if you have moved since filing you taxes. The form can be downloaded at

4.  Visit your local IRS office.




General information