Grant Overpayments

If you have received one or more overpayments of the Federal Pell Grant, you are required, by law, to repay any Federal Pell Grant funds for which you were not entitled.  Until your overpayment has been resolved (i.e., repaid), you are ineligible to receive any more federal student aid, including loans.  The Office of Financial Aid requires documentation to verify that you have resolved (i.e., repaid) the overpayment.  

Your Next Steps

1. Pay the amount owed. 

  • For information on what is owed, call the Department of Education at 1-800-621-3115 or log into My Federal Student Aid with your FSA ID.

2. After you have resolved (i.e., repaid) the Pell Overpayment, please contact the Department of Education at 1-800-621-3115 to obtain a “Title IV Eligibility Letter.” 

  • This letter will be mailed directly to you.  
  • UNC Charlotte cannot request this letter on your behalf. 
  • The letter must state that your Pell Overpayment is paid in full.   

3. Once you receive the “Title IV Eligibility Letter” by mail,  mail or fax it to the Office of Financial Aid.