The Federal Perkins Loan is a need-based low-interest fixed rate (5%) loan for students. No interest is charged while students are enrolled in school at least half-time. UNC Charlotte is the lender. There is limited fund availability.
To be considered for a Perkins Loan at UNC Charlotte, the student must meet the following requirements:
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Demonstrate financial need
- Be admitted as a degree-seeking undergraduate student
- Enrolled full-time
- U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen;
- Meet Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards as defined by the UNC Charlotte Office of Financial Aid Office
- Not owe a refund on a federal student grant or be in default on a federal student loan
Award Amounts/Loan Limits
The maximum Perkins Loan award at UNC Charlotte is $4,000 for undergraduate students.
The maximum aggregate amount an eligible student may borrow is
- $11,000 for any student who has not completed two academic years of undergraduate work, or
- $27,500 for an undergraduate student who has successfully completed two academic years of a program leading to a bachelor’s degree but who has not received the degree.
In order to receive your loan funds, you must complete a Federal Perkins Loan Entrance Counseling session. Complete your entrance counseling at Mapping Your Future.
- Once completed, the Financial Aid Office will be notified within 2–3 business days.
- Students who have not completed entrance counseling session by September 15 will have their loans cancelled for the academic year.
Perkins Loan Disclosure Statement
Students awarded a Federal Perkins Loan will be mailed a Perkins Loan Disclosure Statement in late July. Sign and return both pages of the statement to:
Office of Financial Aid
9201 University City Blvd.
Charlotte, NC 28223
Students may also sign their disclosure statement in person in the Financial Aid Office, located on the 1st floor of Reese Building. Students who have not returned their Perkins Loan Disclosure Statement by September 15 will have their loans cancelled for the academic year.
Receiving your Loan Funds (Disbursement)
The following requirements must be met in order for your Perkins Loan to disburse to your student tuition account:
- Accept your Perkins Loan through My UNC Charlotte.
- Sign and return the completed Perkins Loan Disclosure Statement by September 15.