The Master Promissory Note (MPN) is a legal document in which you promise to repay your loan(s) and any accrued interest and fees to the U.S. Dept. of Education. It also explains the terms and conditions of your loan(s); for instance, it will include information on how interest is calculated and what deferment and cancellation provisions are available to you.
How to Sign your Master Promissory Note
- Go to www.studentloans.gov
- Under “Manage My Direct Loan” select “Log In”. (Note: You will need your federal student aid (FSA) ID and password to access the session. If you do not have a FSA ID, please visit https://fsaid.ed.gov/npas/index.htm
- Sign in using your FSA ID and password.
- Once logged in, click on the "Complete MPN" option located under the "Master Promissory Note" heading on the left menu bar.
- Select “Complete Master Promissory Note”.
- Select the loan type "Direct Stafford Loan".
- Follow the instructions to complete, sign and submit your Stafford Loan MPN.
- Our office will be notified within 2-3 business days after you sign your MPN.
When you graduate or withdraw and become less than a half-time student you will be required to complete exit counseling.