Transient Study

UNC Charlotte Students:

Transient students are University of North Carolina (UNC) Charlotte degree-seeking students that are also taking courses at another college. UNC Charlotte is considered to be the home institution and the school you will be attending is the host institution.  

Federal regulations prohibit students from receiving aid at more than one institution during the same academic term. Therefore, all requests for financial aid during terms of transient study must be filed with UNC Charlotte, not the host institution.

In order for transient students to receive financial aid, students must:

  1. Submit this completed Transient Study form to the Office of the Registrar. Be sure to follow the instructions carefully to be approved for transient study prior to taking any outside course(s).
  2. Register and pay out of pocket for all courses at host institution. 
  3. Submit the Transient Study- Financial Aid Request Form with documentation that is requested on the form.

Once these steps have been taken, the following will take place:

  1. UNC Charlotte’s financial aid office will send a Consortium Agreement Form to the host school.  The host school should then return the completed form to UNC Charlotte’s Financial Aid Office. 
  2. UNC Charlotte’s financial aid office will then award financial aid for the transient term based on the total number of hours that students are enrolled at UNC Charlotte and the host institution.
  3. The student must adhere to the financial aid awarding conditions stated on the Office of Student Financial Aid website found here.

It is the student's responsibility to make sure that the Registrar's office at UNC Charlotte receives a final copy of the academic transcript from the host school after the transient term is over by the scheduled deadlines indicated on the Transient Study - Financial Aid Request Form.  If transcripts are not received, financial aid may be canceled for that term, and future requests will be denied.

Non UNC Charlotte Students attend as transient students:

If UNC Charlotte is not the student’s home institution, the student is not eligible for financial aid through UNC Charlotte.  The student must contact his/her home institution’s financial aid office to have his/her financial aid processed for transient study at UNC Charlotte.